Few facts on probiotics and human gut flora
- What are probiotics ?
Probiotics are micro-organisms that show health benefits when consumed.
Lactic acid bacteria and bifidobacteria are the most common types of microbes used as probiotics but certain yeast and bacilli may also be used.
- Probiotics and the human body – what’s the link?
- Why do we need to maintain bacterial balance in human digestive tract?
As many scientist point out the health of digestive tract is tightly linked to the composition of bacterial gut lining.
Where there is a destruction of healthy beneficial flora in human digestive tract, we see that ‘bad’ or opportunistic bacteria invades the digestive tract and starts causing damage to the tissues and the threatens the integrity of gut.
- What affects adversely the beneficial bacteria in our gut?
- Oral contraceptive pill
- Viral/bacterial infections
- Poor diet
- Is there need to maintain supply of beneficial bacteria ?
Absolutely! You can consume fermented foods that are naturally rich in probiotic bacteria.
- What are the most common fermented foods that supply us with probiotic bacteria that protects integrity of our gut?
- Coconut Milk Kefir
- Water kefir
- Milk Kefir – (dairy)
- Kambucha Tea
- Fermented Vegetables:
- Kimchi (Chinese Cabbage)
- Pickled vegetables
- Natto – fermented soybeans
- Natural vinegars, wine, beer