Carrot & Coconut Cake
Being health conscious doesn’t mean that you have to miss out on eating desserts and treats!
There are many healthier options for gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar-free or refine sugar-free.
So that’s the good news – you don’t have to miss out! You do still need to consider what options are best for you and your particular dietary considerations.
Today I have a recipe for a carrot and coconut cake that is gluten-free, dairy free and refine sugar-free. Enjoy it.
- 4 medium sized whole eggs
- 70g honey (option to replace honey with ¼ cup of Stevia)
- 75g desiccated coconut
- 75g almond, use hazelnuts or walnuts as replacement
- 200g carrots grated very finely
- 50g buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoon natural vanilla essence or the seeds of a quarte of a vanilla bean
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 small lemon
- 2 spoons full of honey to brush the cake
- Some desiccated coconut to sprinkle the cake
- 1 tablespoon of soft butter to grease the mould, or alternatively use coconut oil
- Heat your oven to 160 degrees.
- Grease a cake mould with the soft butter.
- Place the almonds into a blender and turn it into a fine almond meal.
- Grate the carrots finely with a fine grater blade and place into a bowl.
- Shave with a fine grater blade the first layer of the lemon skin and add to the grated carrots.
- Open the eggs and place into a separate mixing bowl add the honey vanilla and mix until thick foamy which takes approx 7-10 minutes (use a electric mixer if you have).
- Add the almond meal desiccated coconut grated carrots and mix together.
- Next add the buckwheat flour, baking powder, and mix it carefully together and fill it two thirds high into the greased mould.
- Place the mould into the oven and bake for approximately 40 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the oven, remove it from the mould and place it onto a cake rack and brush it with the honey..
- Sprinkle desiccated coconut all over the cake.