Smart Snacking – 15 healthy snack ideas for school/work lunch boxes
Eating a snack or two between meals is the norm for your school children, and it is probably what you are in the habit of doing whist at work also.
Snacking on healthy foods can curb hunger and can help you get all of the nutrients that you need each day. On the flip-side, grazing all day or eating the wrong foods may result in overeating and/or the development of unhealthy habits.
All of us want what is best for our kids. Similarly, we want to take care of ourselves. So in the interest of health for all – here are some ideas for school lunch boxes, for you to take to work or to eat while on the run.
A healthy lunchbox helps to keep kids alert and focused, as it does for us adults. But no matter how healthy the snacks that we prepare are – they are only good if they get eaten. So it is important to be aware of individual tastes so that we can make the most of our preparations.
15 Healthy Snack Ideas
- Apple, or other fruits
- Unsalted raw nuts
- Boiled eggs
- Homemade kale chips
- 1/2 an avocado with cottage cheese in the centre and a squeeze of lemon
- Celery sticks with natural peanut butter in the centre
- Carrot and celery sticks with hummus or other homemade dips – for example; my Alkaline Baba Ganoush Recipe
- Homemade chicken, beef or turkey rissoles
- Homemade muesli bars
- Homemade egg and veggie mini quiches (without pastry)
- Flour-free savoury muffins – for example: my Grain-free Zucchini Muffin Recipe
- Flour-free sweet muffins – for example; my Blueberry Almond Muffin Recipe
- Greek yogurt topped with berries and/or a drizzle of honey and crushed nuts
- Homemade bliss balls