Safeguard Your Health This Winter
It’s the season now where there is a fresh chill in the air and lots of people are starting to fall ill. Of course non of us want to get sick!
So what foods can we eat to help safeguard ourselves and avoid catching the flu virus thats going around?
Here is what I recommend:
- Lots of green Leaves such as Spinach and Kale: Use them in salads, stir fry’s and/or make yourself fresh green smoothies packed with green vegetables. These deliver nutrients such as zinc and bioflavanoids that will support your immune system function.
- Ginger: add ginger to your cooking, juices, smoothies or tea. Ginger has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Broccoli: Add it to your meals steamed or raw in smoothies or salads, as this hight in protein veggie does also carry powerful anti-carcenogenic properties.
- Lemon: Add to your water and/or your tea. The vitamin C will boost your immune system functions and help you to fight off disease.
- Chilli: Makes a nice addiction to many dishes and warms you up in colder months.
- Horseradish & Wasabi: Get creative with your cooking and add a bit of warming spice. I love Horseradish with my steak and Wasabi with tuna and salmon.
- Garlic: It is easy and delicious to add a few cloves of garlic in to your cooking and bring in antibacterial properties.
- Kiwi Fruit: Packed with highlighted levels of vitamin C and antioxidants, this fruit is good to have all year around.
- Grapefruit: Eat it for breakfast or as a snack and supercharge your liver detoxification pathways.
- Slow cooked meals are fantastic source of easy to digest protein and opportunity to utilise immune system boosting herbs. Come and learn how to slow cook on one of Trupp Cooking School upcoming Healthy Slow Cooking Class.
- Broth Soup: Use home made stock as the base for soups, it will strengthen your immune system and nourish you well. Here is my recipe for Beef Bone Broth & Chicken Bone Broth.
- Fermented Foods & Drinks: Kim Chi, Sauerkraut, Kombucha and Kefir are all great fermented dishes that I highly recommend for always keeping your health in check via replenishing the supply of probiotic bacteria in your digestive system that in turn helps to strengthen your immune system function!
- AND….Don’t forget to stay warm, wash your hands before eating and drink lots of water!