Baked apples can be a great healthy treat. This recipe is delicious and nutritious as a desert, ideal for breakfast, or even an afternoon snack. They are also great for children and they are a GAPS diet friendly dish. In fact, baked apples are one of the first fruits that you can introduce in later stage of the GAPS introduction diet. (GAPS is a diet that heals and seals your gastrointestinal tract).
- 6 medium to large apples
- 1/4 cup of raisins or prunes
- 1/2 cup of activated walnuts, crushed
- zest of one lemon or half an orange
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons of coconut oil, butter or ghee
- 6 teaspoons of honey
- Core apples
- mix dried fruit, walnuts, citrus zest and cinnamon together and spoon into each apple centre; dividing the mix evenly between the apples.
- Place apples in a crock pot and add 1/2 an inch of water.
- Cook on low (100 degrees) for three to four hours (alternatively bake covered at 150 degrees for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle 1 teaspoon of honey over each baked apple.
- Top with sour cream, yogurt, coconut milk, or just eat plain.