Winter is almost over and many of us may be suffering low moods that are often associated with SAD (seasonal affective disorder; that is simply a winter depression).
Symptoms of SAD can include: sleeping too much, experiencing fatigue in the daytime, gaining weight, having decreased interest in social activities.
Some of the treatments are: light therapy, or antidepressants. Fortunately, there is a lot that can be done nutritionally.
If you experience SAD, I would like you to boost the inhibitory neurotransmitters levels in your body such as Serotonin, GABA and Dopamine through the diet to balance your mood.
Some of the top foods that boost neurotransmitter production are:
- All nuts, but especially Brazil Nuts, that are high in Selenium which is a critical nutrient needed for healthy neurotransmitter production. 5 Brazil Nuts a week prevents selenium deficiency and boosts neurotransmitter production, hence preventing depression.
- Cacao that is loaded with dopamine boosting nutrients. It is one of the best sources of PEA’s which are natural compounds that cross over the blood brain barrier and stimulate and modulate the release of dopamine in the brain. Cacao also helps to boost serotonin and contains endorphin Anandamide which is considered the “bliss chemical.”
- Blueberries, that are rich in the flavonoid anti-oxidants anthocyanin which has been shown to protect some of the major regions in the brain that control neurotransmitter secretions
- Cruciferous vegetables rich in sulfur that boost glutathione levels which are key for a healthy brain and optimal neurotransmitter release.
- Fermented foods rich in probiotcs that improve gut function and reduce inflammatory stress in the body and enhance amino acid bioavailability making it easier for the body to synthesize the alanine, tyrosine and phenylalanine necessary for healthy neurotransmitter production.
So, why not trying Antidepressant bars that are loaded with the right ingredients that boost your brain function in most delightful way!
Brazil nut bars with carob, dates and blueberries
1 cup of brazil nuts
1 cup of dates, pitted
1/2 cupcarob, cocoa or cacao powder
1/2 cup of blueberries
Put brazil nuts in a food processor and process into a smooth paste. Add the remaining ingredients, and continue to process until the mixtures starts to come together like a dough.
Mould the mixture evenly into bars, or balls, and then place in the fridge or freezer to set for at least 1 hour.
The bars can be kept at room temperature, or in the fridge.