This breakfast option is ideal for those who look at alternatives to processed breakfast cereals. It is gluten and dairy free, rich in flavor and health giving calcium, vit C and fiber. Stabilizing your blood sugar levels and easy on digestion.
You can cook this breakfast option in large batches. It also works well with other grains or seeds like brown rice, pearled barley or buckwheat kasha.
Estimated preparation Time: 5 minutes
Completion Time: 25 minutes
1 large breakfast serve
Ingredients first stage recipe
2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
1⁄4 cup mixed dried fruits such as goji berries. 1 cup and 2 tablespoon of water
Ingredients second stage recipe
1 pinch cinnamon powder 1/2 cup of milk 1⁄2 cup of coconut kefir 1⁄2 an apple and carrot roughly grated or a handful of fresh nuts or 2 tablespoon of desiccated coconut
1-teaspoon cacao powder (optional)
- Place quinoa into the saucepan.
- Add dried fruit
- Add water
- Cover with a lid and bring to boil on a high heat
- Reduce the heat to low and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes
- Turn the heat off and let stand for another 5 minutes
Note: you can now place this base into the fridge then proceed in the morning as follows;
- Remove the lid and add the milk
- Add cinnamon
- Bring to the boil once again so the porridge thickens.
- Turn off the heat and stir in yoghurt, fruits and coconut
- Serve and dust with coco powder
What can you serve with Quinoa porridge?
Add a little honey if you like it sweeter.