Healthy Gluten-free Pancakes? Yes it is possible! Hooray!
There are plenty of healthy pancake recipes and ideas out there, but this one is gluten free, nutritious and yummy!
Many of my patients are on a gluten-free diet as part of their gut health journey, and this recipe is a great one for them and for others who are interred in a gluten-free diet.
Buckwheat has many health benefits. It is high in fibre, digestible protein, and antioxidants, and contains B vitamins and mineral such as magnesium, phosphorus and potassium, well as phytonutrients. One type of phytonutrient especially abundant in buckwheat are plant lignans, which are converted by friendly flora in our intestines into mammalian lignans, including one called enterolactone that is thought to protect against breast and other hormone-dependent cancers as well as heart disease.
Here is a simple recipe for making Buckwheat Pancakes, which can be multiplied depending on how many pancakes you wish to make.
- 2 cups of whole buckwheat blended into a fine powder
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups of milk of your choice
- pinch of salt
- Butter, coconut oil or ghee (for frying the pancakes)
- Blend whole buckwheat in a food processor or blender until fine
- Mix all of the ingredients into a bowl
- Melt some butter, coconut oil or ghee in your pan
- Spoon the pancake mixture into the pan and let it distribute evenly
- Cook for a minute or until you see air bubbled forming in the mixture, and then flip the pancake and cook the other side
- Repeat this procedure for as many pancakes as you desire
- Top pancakes with your choice of berries, greek yogurt or kefir yogurt, or a drizzle of honey and/or some crushed nuts