The Benefits of Root Vegetables
Grown beneath the earth, root vegetables seem to have seeped in all of mother nature’s natural benefits.
Root vegetables grow underground and absorb a great amount of nutrients from the soil.
They are packed with a high concentration of:
– Antioxidants; the more colourful the vegetable the richer antioxidant content. For more information about antioxidants read here.
– Vitamins A, E, C and most of B vitamins.
– Minerals like Iron, Zinc, Selenium, Magnesium, and Calcium.
Root vegetables help to:
– Cleanse your system
– Deliver complex carbohydrates – slowly burning energy, regulating your blood glucose levels.
– Provide soluble and insoluble fibre – that not only acts as a food source to the beneficial bacteria in your gut but also helps to regulate your bowel movement.
How often should you incorporate root vegetables into your diet?
– Anywhere between 3-5 servings of any combination of root vegetables a day is beneficial. Choose the more colourful varieties to optimise the nutrient content.