Here are the final two Kale salad recipes from the series of five!
We demonstrated the five Kale salad recipes at the Mind Body Spirit Festival earlier this month, and at the Nutritional Networking event that was hosted at Trupp Cooking School this month also.
Kale is such a nutritionally dense leafy green, so I hope that you try some of these recipes and learn to enjoy Kale!
1. Kale and sesame salad with shitake mushrooms
- 3-4 stems of kale, tear the leafs off the stems and rip into bite size pieces and washed
- Zest of ¼ of a lemon
- Juice of ¼ of lemon
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds or any other nuts of choice (if large crush them)
- ½ tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ tablespoon of toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 5-6 little or 3 larger red radishes
- ¼ red onion cut into wedges
- ¼ carrot roughly grated
- 1 spring onion cleaned roots removed and finely chopped
- ¼ cup of coriander roughly chopped, use parsley as replacement
- 2 shitake mushrooms sliced
- Place kale and kale stems into the mixer bowl.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, sesame seeds, olive oil, sesame oil, ginger, soy sauce, and radishes.
- Attach a paddle to the electric mixing bowl and start kneading the kale (or wilting by hand) – on a low gear for approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the bowl and add onion wedges, carrots, spring onions, coriander, and shitake mushrooms.
- Mix together and serve.
2. Kale and rice salad with pomegranate and feta cheese
- 3-4 stems of kale, tear the leafs off the stems and rip into bite size pieces and washed, stems finely sliced
- Zests of ¼ lemon
- Juice of ¼ lemon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- ¼ cup of any nuts of your choice like walnuts macadamia or cashew etc.
- Flesh of ½ a small or ¼ large soft avocado
- Seeds of ¼ of a pomegranate –link to how to deseed one
- Wedges of ¼ red onion
- 1/3 cup of diced feta cheese
- 1 cup of cooked brown rice (you can also use any other grains or seeds), in this recipe we added 1 tablespoon of wild rice to the brown rice in case you wonder what the black bits are)
- ¼ cup of roughly chopped herbs such as mint or coriander or dill or parsley or basil
- 2 handful of rocket salad
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- Place kale and kale stems into an electric mixer bowl.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper, nuts and avocado.
- Attach a paddle and start kneading (or wilting by hand) – on a low gear for approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the bowl and add pomegranate, onion, feta cheese, cooked brown rice (or any other grain or seeds), herbs, rocket salad and olive oil.
- Combine well together and serve.