Let them eat cake!
So you love chocolate cake but you want to keep to your gluten free or sugar free diet? Well here you have it! Stick to your diet and have your cake too!
This cake is dense and moist and delicious. It tastes better than your average flour/sugar cake and it has none of the nasties.
Ingredients in this recipe can be substituted to lessen the natural sugar content (you could remove the banana and dates and add some extra stevia instead). You can also make this cake dairy free by using unsweetened nut milks and taking the coconut oil option instead of butter.
- 1.5 cup of almond meal
- 1/4 cup of coconut flour
- 1/2 cup of cacao
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- 2 Teaspoon vanilla essence
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 banana
- 5 soaked pitted dates
- 2 Tablespoons of stevia (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1/2 cup of milk of your choice
- Preheat oven at 160 degrees celsius
- Line the cake tin with butter, coconut oil spray or baking paper
- Soak pitted dates in boiling water for about 30 minutes
- Put all ingredients into food processor and mix
- Bake for 25 minutes and then check with tooth pick – if it comes out clean it is ready. If not, then bake for another 5 minutes and check again until the tooth pick comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and let the cake tin cool down for approx. 15 minutes before removing the cake onto a cooling rack
- Let the cake cool before dusting the top with cacao
- Serve with fresh berries and/or greek yogurt or coconut yogurt